Friday, October 03, 2008

Castor Bean


The quilt I am showing today is called Castor Bean. I pulled the pic from a magazine somewhere. I was really drawn to it as it reminds me of a small Gwen Marston quilt that I saw years ago when I first started quilting. I believe that hers was called The Pokeberry quilt and is in one of her books. I remember seeing it for the first time in a Lady’s Circle Patchwork Quilt magazine and falling in love with it as it looked so primitive. I still want to make that little quilt and I love the look of this larger quilt also. I am so looking forward to Gwen’s new book arriving in my mailbox. I am sure it will be awhile as I ordered it from her and I know her retreats are still going on. To prepare myself a little bit I took Tonya’s suggestion and ordered some solid Kona cottons from the Fabric Shack. I tried to get some colors that I didn’t have. Our local Joann’s carries Kona solids also but they are $5.99 yard and the Fabric Shack is only $3.99 yard. When I was in town this week I ran into Joann’s and purchased a large cut of one solid and used my 40% off coupon. A new one arrived in the mail this week so I will do that again next week. An easy way to stock up on them as I know once I receive her book I will dive head on into my love of solids again. I had made a couple of quilt tops last winter from solids using ideas from her Liberated String Quilts book.
On another note about the Fabric Shack. Tonya had passed that link on and I was surprised to find it was the quilt store that we visit when we make the annual trek to Waynesville, Ohio in December. It has so much stuff and I am always able to find something there that I have been searching for and can’t find elsewhere. Anyway, as I was online checking them out I found that they have a sale area. I was able to buy some quilt top backings for $1.98 yard. One was a kayaker fabric that I had seen elsewhere and loved but didn’t want to put the money in as I knew it would only work as a back. Now I own it and need to get to work on that fish lap quilt that I want to make for my son.

4 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

When I read kayak fabric, the first thing that went through my mind is the "Tippecanoe & Tyler Too" block... (Also known as crossed canoes.)

Tonya Ricucci said...

I remember that Pokeberry quilt of Gwen's. I may have a pic of it somewhere if you can't find yours. I'm really drawn to the stars and the star leaves on this big quilt. ooh, I bet the real fabric shack is marvelous to shop in!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I had no idea you didn't know about Fabric Shack online. I get stuff there all the time! I love that Castor Bean quilt. I might need you to email me the scan! One box down - one to go!

Juliann in WA said...

I love this quilt! I am so in need of inspiration. Maybe this is the thing.