Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Baskets and Small Houses


I have to admit that last week was kind of a tough one so not much got accomplished. With that said I am going to show a picture of an older finished project. This is a Jan Patek pattern entitled Jane’s Baskets. I had so much fun making this quilt as I loved making the different baskets, the appliqué was large pieces so that part was easy and I really don’t work in blue’s much and I really liked the end result of this one. This one hung in my old house for awhile and I hate that thought that it is now folded up on a shelf. I used to tell the guys I work with that one of my goals when I retired was to live in an 800 – 1200 square foot house as I was tired of having a big house. Well I am now living with 2 kids in an 1100 square foot house and it is possible. I think if I was to have a smaller house permanently it would be nice to have it built to my specifications as organization is definitely the key to a smaller home.


“I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence, but it comes from within. It is there all the time.” - Anna Freud

15 comments:

Barb said...

I absoutely love that quilt, that is exactly the kind of quilting I love to do.....thanks for showing it.

Susan said...

I think Jan's designs are comforting. I am working on one of her quilts now.

Libby said...

I'm a fan of living in a small house. Somehow is just feels cozier. Things are a bit cramped these days with our daughter back at home . . . having her close again makes it easier to cope *s*

Gari in AL said...

I retired into a bigger house but it has fewer walls, still no room for hanging many quilts. I think the ideal house would be any size with lots of 12' blank walls. LOL

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Oh I love your basket quilt!!! Love Jan Patek patterns! Great Job, Hugs, Mary

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Beautiful quilt...and I love the name of it *grin*

Tonya Ricucci said...

Glad you're enjoying living in the smaller place. fun quilt. you don't use blue much? that's be a hard color for me not to use, if you include all the shades such as turquoise.

YankeeQuilter said...

Getting used to a new place and finding places for your special things takes time (and more effort than anyone ever estimates!)

Really like the quilt...and the quote!

Browndirtcottage said...

Love this quilt....and all of your
previous fruit and veggie blocks
are great!!

Lucy said...

love it Laura!

Dee Light said...

What a lovely quilt.

Lynn Dykstra said...

Laura,
What a beautiful quilt.
I want to thank you for your blog--I wasn't feeling well this December, and your daily postings of Christmas quilts was such a pleasure for me. In the midst of your own troubles, you brought joy to my life.

Quilts And Pieces said...

That has always been one of my favorite quilts of yours! Hope things are going ok, I was actually going to send you a note today and then got sidetracked!

Anonymous said...

Wow...love this and the one you posted after this one! Hope all is going ok....

Judy said...

I like in a 1000sqft condo so I know about living in tighter spaces. I am in need of some serious re-organization at the moment, but it's working. LOVE the baskets!