Wednesday, June 28, 2006

More Liberty


My first class was with Ginger Schrader. I love Ginger and have taken classes with her before. I was disappointed to find out that she is retiring and will no longer be teaching the chalkware. Chalkware is made from gypsum or plaster of paris and formed in a mold. Ginger reproduces many of the old chalkware items and has made molds for her own reproductions. She is an expert at painting these and getting the right look. In this class we could choose to reproduce either a pear or a weathered finial. I chose the pear, although the finial was really neat. I like taking classes with Ginger because you always go home with a finished product! Ginger and her husband Ron also put on primitive fairs twice a year at their home and then many times a year at various locations. They put one on at the Gathering each year and the quality of vendors they select is top notch. The quilt book “Home Sweet Home’ by Blackbird Designs and published by Kansas City Star has a nice 3- 4 page spread on Ginger’s saltbox house and her Summer Primitive Fair.
Ginger is the one standing up helping 2 of the girls in the class. Tomorrow, Journaling with the Blackbird girls.

8 comments:

Judy said...

Looks like it came right out of an old dirty barn!! Which is meant as a compliment!!

You did a great job accomplishing the weathered old antique look! I love the Blackbird Ladies...can't wait!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your pear is wonderful! I am having such fun reading about your trip! Gosh I can't wait to go do something fun again!

KC Quilter said...

Okay, now you're making me really mad at myself for missing the Gathering!!!! I saw Ginger's stuff at a booth at Antiques on the Common in Lee's Summit in May. Loved it! The pear is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Hi Laura,
I hope your having a great time...You definetly need to stop into "Pieceful Stitching Studio" next to Janice's "Wooly Woolens Studio, Julie who use to own Liberty Quilt Shop now has her shop on the property with Wooly Woolens, Janice and her hubby really fixed this up nicely...your only 10 minutes from me... I love the Gathering, have a wonderful time....Hugs Tina

Unknown said...

Okay I need to read everything before I write, now I see you did visit Janice and Julie....I hope you had a good time I am taking a Tuesday morning rug hooking class with Janice...It should be fun...

Darcie said...

Oooh! I love your pear! Do you have any pics of anyone's finial?

Looks like you had a great space to work in...as well as great company! What a fantastic trip you're on!

Finn said...

Looks like an absolutely fabulous time...I love chalkware..*VBS* Didn't know you could take a class in it...what a great idea!

Darcie said...

Ah yes! I do see the finished finial, Laura. Thanks for bringing me back here. It looks so REAL! She's got quite the artist's eye!