Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Farmers Market



This weekend I did something for the first time since moving into my little place last Thanksgiving. I pulled my sewing machine out and set it up on my dining room table and sewed. It actually wasn’t as much of a pain as I thought it would be. Set up and take down didn’t consist of much time and I didn’t have the mess I thought I might have. Our guild is having our annual retreat this September. Our theme this year is “Patchwork Pantry” and one of the projects we have been working on in advance is Pat Sloan’s Farmers Market quilt. I wanted to have mine done in advance so I needed to get my blocks together so I could appliqué the border next. So the picture above is my center all sewed together. I haven’t decided yet exactly what fabrics I will use for the borders. So far I have purchased nothing for this top it all came from my stash and I hope to continue with that theme. The couple of blocks I haven’t shown yet are the strawberries and the vase of flowers. I am worlds worst yo yo maker and to think I want to make a yo yo quilt. I have since purchased the Clover yo yo makers to help me form better ones.
On another note I have decided I am not happy with my paint colors (and I haven’t even shown you my living room yet) so I am going to start painting the kitchen and living room again tomorrow. This might take me a bit but before I paint the living room I will snap a picture and then I can show you not only the first before, but the second before. (Does that make any sense?) Hopefully I can get it right this time around!

“The home is a human institution. All human institutions are open to improvement.” - Charlotte Perkins Gilman

11 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'm glad you've discovered you can use your sewing machine easily. woohoo. you're getting all your retreat blocks done before the retreat????

black bear cabin said...

this farmers market quilt is adorable! and how awesome you made it from scraps...cant wait to see it finished!
as for the dining room table sewing...thats how i have to do it too. I always think it will be a chore to drag everything out, but its actually not that bad...one day i hope to have my own sewing room though! :)

Barb said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I love your Farmer's market.....that is awesome. I have done her "It's 5 O'clock somewhere"...

quiltmom anna said...

Its a wonderful happy quilt - Glad to see that you are back quilting again.
Good luck with the painting- I am sure you'll find the look that you are looking for.
Regards,
Anna

Michelle said...

I love your Farmer's Market! And I can't wait to see you at camp!

Jan said...

You beat me!!!! That looks great! Working on last block then trying to decide what to do the strips in. Decisions, decisions...... 5 more weeks, can't wait.

ForestJane said...

Really love the colors in the pantry one - my eye goes from the strawberries to the cherries to the jar covers. :)

Deb said...

I love your work and fabric choices on the Market quilt.. this is the best one I have seen great compliment to the designers pattern I would say

YankeeQuilter said...

Your Farmer's Market quilt is wonderful! Glad working on the dining room table works out OK.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your farmers market looks so good. I never got mine started. Just too much with the wedding. Geez, I have to get that quilt done!

Kucki68 said...

It's looking very yummy. I am looking forward to seeing your border choices.