Friday, August 25, 2006

My designing daughter


For the past year Riah has been designing her own garments. What this amounts to is her setting up my little fold out table that I take along to quilt retreats and taking clothing she already owns and changing it up. She does everything by hand, sitting at that little table. Most items get put in a drawer when she is finished, some have been worn to school, once. Her only sewing background is in making a couple of quilts. This consists of mom’s help cutting out and her sewing a straight seam. We purchased her a sewing machine a couple of summers ago and it is set up in my sewing room. I don’t do garments or much of any kind of sewing except for my quilts. I really don’t have the knowledge to help her, with that said I have decided to go ahead and jump in there and get her started. I thought some basic sewing would be a good idea to get her going. We decided to make some journal covers. I purchased Composition books at the drug store that had a regular binding, not a spiral binding. We made a basic book cover then sewed a ribbon on for closure. As you can see once we got started it was hard to quit. They were simple and a lot of fun. She thinks these will make great gifts for her friends. Next up we are going to do pillowcases for her bed. From there we are going to try a skirt. I purchased a basic wrap skirt pattern. No buttonholes, no zipper, no elastic. How can we go wrong? I certainly hope we can’t. I like seeing her enthusiasm for this. It is quite catching and has me excited for her. This could be a passing fad for her or maybe it will turn into something she enjoys for life, it doesn’t matter, as long as we are able to spend this time together. In the meantime, if it lasts a year then I am definitely signing her up for sewing classes at the local sewing center next summer!

14 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Your daughter is very lucky to have a mom who supports her creative endeavors! BTW, I recognize two other those journal cover fabrics from a baby quilt I just finished! Your daughter has great taste ;)!

Darcie said...

What fun for you and Mariah! She's a lucky girl...as well as you, a lucky Mom. Great lessons in life for both of you to share...whether making journal covers or creating her -- all too fast approaching -- high school prom dress...stitches will be made and a lifetime of memories will be created.

Judy said...

It's so nice to have someone to share sewing with and you and your daughter are very lucky!! I LOVE the fabrics you chose to use, very girly and pretty! I have a blog for you to check out that might give you some great ideas to make later... the adress is : http://pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/

You ought to go back through a few months and find her Pot holders she made and the fabulous water bottle holders. I bought enough of the insulation stuff (at JoAnn's)to make both! They are great projects that might help your daughter learn easy straight stitch quilting and binding, and yet are very funky and perfect for teens (and us adults)!

Thanks Laura for another great idea!!

Libby said...

What fun to spend this time with your daughter. The journal covers look great and I agree they make a perfect gift.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Very great journal covers and some fun memories of Mom & daughter time! My Mom wasn't super creative in a sewing sort of way - but she did make sure I had 1 YEAR of dress making/tailoring lessons, 1 quilt lesson (a log cabin) AND weaving lessons. All combined, these skills have provided me with endless hours of entertainment and fun for many years! Money well spent! Starting with fast and easy projects is a great introduction to sewing - way to go!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Patti said...

How wonderful for both of you! And the journal covers were an inspired idea. I can think of nothing better than a shared mother-daughter sewing session. I miss the ones I had with my daughter in late grade school and early junior high. It never caught on with her that much however - she doesn't do anything any more except for hemming ready made curtains a couple times. I sure miss those days.

KC Quilter said...

How neat for you and Mariah! And the journal covers and pillowcases are great ideas.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Laura! They are so cute and will make wonderful gifts! I hope I get to see some of them when I come down. I"m so jealous of Riah sewing with you! I used to love it when Emily would sew with me. I LOVE the purses!

Tonya Ricucci said...

You guys are doing a great job. Sounds like an excellent way to get started sewing.

ForestJane said...

What a good idea! It sounds like you're doing things in manageable steps.

that's cute pink fabric for the journal cover you have in the picture.

Lily Mulholland said...

Laura, get ye to:

http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2006/08/craft_book_seas.html

I think you might want to buy this book for your daughter - it sounds perfect!

Love the book cover. What a great idea - her friends will love it :)

Susan said...

Laura, the journal covers are a great idea. My daughter is 11 and she has sewn a little bit.

Were they difficult? (Obviously not - you made a pile of them in an afternoon!)

Would you mind sharing some simple instructions?

Thanks
Susan

Susan said...

The journal covers are great! Would she think about making one to sell? Or a few?

The best part is the two of you sharing time together, however things turn out. I look forward to seeing the pillowcase pictures, and then the skirts. Who knows where this might lead. =)

Jennifer said...

I love the journal covers!! Her friends will love them, too, for sure. I've made a bunch of these, too ... they are so fun to do. Can't wait to see what your daughter does next!