Friday, September 15, 2006

Salsa


I am pretty sure I have written before about how I am soooo not a cook. I just have no enjoyment with it. Well this summer I have been making homemade salsa and it is so good I just knew I would have to share this simple and easy recipe with all of you. My whole family loves it and it takes about 15 minutes to make. I don’t have time for a garden in the summer so this year we planted a tomato plant right outside our entryway in a large urn my grandpa had made. I usually have it full of colorful blooms, instead we filled it with miracle grow soil and planted one small tomato plant in it. It took off and with no work at all I have had a nice crop of tomatoes.
For the salsa I take as many tomatoes as I have available and cut into wedges and place in a roasting pan, I add a sweet onion cut in to wedges also and sliced jalapenos right from the jar. Now if you have the real thing that would be even more wonderful. I roast them under the broiler until they are soft and then just food process them into the salsa and it is ready to eat. We like our salsa nice and hot so we add quite a few jalapenos. The onions add just enough sweetness to make it perfect.
For a different snack soften 2 packages of cream cheese in the microwave, mix with the salsa and have with chips or crackers. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Judy said...

My hubby would love it, the hotter the better!!

Juliann in WA said...

all of a sudden I feel the need to get some chips and make guacamole- love those fresh grown tomatoes

Susan said...

Sounds yummy, Laura! I haven't been getting to visit blogs because we don't have WiFi in this RV park. But I will still jump in when I can!

quiltpixie said...

that sounds almost easy enough for me in the kitchen :-)

Libby said...

Sounds yummy -- we love our salsa here in SoCal *s*

Eileen said...

That sound really good, Laura. I do have to ask-what is a sweet onion? Is it a Vidalia?

Quilts And Pieces said...

MMMM, now those are my kind of snacks. OK, now I have to come down again and make you make me some!

Granny said...

Yum! My tomatoes have just about quit producing but I should get enough to make a batch of your salsa. Thanks for the recipe.

Judy L.