Monday, February 19, 2007

Strings in Solids


I have always had a love affair with solid fabrics. I know it sounds crazy and I don’t even know why I am so attracted to them, but I am. I believe it must be the clear pure color that I am attracted to. This past weekend I was attempting to do my 5 “river” blocks that I have assigned myself to do each weekend. I got on my stool to dig through my basket of blue fabrics and in the process a large bunch of solid fabrics fell to the floor from their perch on top of the overflowing basket of solids. As I bent down to pick up the mess I was struck with the thought that I needed to put some of these into a project and reduce a little of the overflow. I immediately thought of the liberated string quilts I was attracted to in Gwen Marston’s book of the same name. I set out stripping a bunch of these into strings. I then sewed the strips together as a leader/ender project while I made my 5 river blocks. It is amazing how quickly this all went together. Before I knew it I had 48 blocks made and now have them sewn into 12 larger blocks. I plan on sashing them and have already started on the lettering that is going in the border. The neat part is that I still have a bunch of strings left. I am going to continue on piecing these together and start a chevron quilt. I have wanted to make one of these for years, using Gwen’s liberated method I don’t have to worry about matching any seams. A really easy process and I am using my stash all at the same time. Another successful weekend in that I was able to get my 5 blocks made and then the 48 string blocks made and also ended up piecing 3 blooming star blocks which is my actual leader/ender project of the moment.

11 comments:

Judy said...

Isn't that weird...I don't think I have any solids except black and white. I have a nice cheddar, but it's got a mottled tone to it. My LQS doesn't carry much of them and I never went to many places that did either. Funny how we collect a few things and gavitate away from others?

The blocks look wonderful!

Joyce said...

I love your solid blocks . I don't have many solids either. Usually I dye solids but try for a mottled look.

Sweet P said...

I like solid color fabrics too but I don't have very many them. I love your blocks and can't wait to see how you finish them.

Elaine Adair said...

What a great bunch of photos. Love the strings, love the beautiful snow, and all the following quilts. Thanks for a great visit.

Helen said...

The colours do look lovely and clear.

Lily Mulholland said...

Wow Laura when you get a bee in your bonnet you really get a lot done!

Great work and I love it when inspiration comes from accident.

Serendipity :)

antique quilter said...

Laura,
I love solid fabrics too!
I started to collect them a couple of years ago. I have a few quilts I want to make using just solid fabrics...what a challenge that will be! Love these blocks you made. Have to admit to having a hard time putting solids together, never knowing whether or not they really go together. So that is why the solid pile of fabrics sits in the closet to look at and enjoy! Someday, seeing your blocks and some quilts Bonnie made using solids ..and Gwen Marstons books...soooo inpsirational all of you are maybe those solids will come out one of these days!

Lucy said...

Hi Laura, I love so much what you did with the solids. I am a big fan of Gwen too!! and have this quilt on my list. Now I see yours I want to start as soon as possible. I am working on my applique with also only solids !

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Laura! I love them! I never thought of just solid strings like this - it looks great!

Darcie said...

Your quilt is very Gwen-esse! It's looking fabulous, Laura!!! Don't you just want a few snowdays so that you can stitch your heart out?!

I too love solids or solid-reading fabric. For me, there's just so much richness and depth...no pattern/printing to detract from the color.

Libby said...

Isn't it great - inspiration from something falling on the floor. They look great. I don't think I have a single solid fabric (except muslin) I'm going to have to rething that.