Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Needle Cases


I have a group of quilting friends that I travel with. We have a tendency to buy each other gifts. I swear that the few times I have missed Paducah I have received more stuff then what I would have purchased myself. One of the fun things we do is give each other roommate gifts. I have received some really great things over the years. Sometimes they are simple homemade gifts, other times it may be a bunch of fabric to your tastes, or office supplies, and always candy. The little needlecases that are pictured above make up quickly for a unique gift. I have done mine in both wool and woolfelt but you could easily use any heavy fabric and embellish them any way you like. I have some really bright wools that I think would look great with couched threads all over them. Less primitive, more artsy. I always enclose a package of needles with the case. Here are the instructions if you are interested in making your own!

Materials Needed:
5 x 12 ½” piece of wool or heavy fabric for needle case
embellishment of your choice
5 x 12 ½” piece of cotton fabric for lining
14” of cord for strap
snap or Velcro for closure

Step 1: Take the large piece of wool and fold in 2 places so that you have the body of the needle case and a flap over the top of the needle case. The flap should measure around 1 ½”. I take and iron it in place so that I have fold lines. I then place a pin on the fold lines.

Step 2: Embellish the front of the case as you desire.

Step 3: Sew the cord inside the front of the needle case. This is right above the embellishment you just stitched down. Using a zigzag stitch on your machine, stitch the cord in place on each front corner. This will be hidden when you have the flap over it.

Step 4: Take the lining piece and iron under a ¼” all the way around it. Center it on the inside of the needle case and stitch down by hand using a running stitch or whip stitch. The woolfelt is thick enough that you just have to catch it, don’t go all the way through to
the front. When finished fold your needle case in place and pin the sides.

Step 5: Using matching embroidery thread (3 strands) and starting on the lower left corner facing you, appliqué the edge down using a buttonhole stitch. Stitch to where the
body ends and the flap begins. This will be where your cord is. Then go to the top of
the right side (facing you) and stitch from the top of the body to the bottom. You then
buttonhole stitch around the flap. Add a snap or Velcro closure and your needle case is finished.

4 comments:

Kairle Oaks said...

What a great gift idea. I need to brush up on my button hole stitch.
Kairle

Quilts And Pieces said...

Laura - these are adorable! I love the little applique - makes me think of hawaiian applique! Very cute! I printed off the instructions so I'll have them!

Debra Dee said...

These needle cases are so cute. I think I'll have to make some for Christmas presents. Thank you so much for sharing how to make them.

Patti said...

I love little needle cases, and these are so cute! I need to make one for each of my Tangled Thread friends. Thanks for sharing!