Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Hong Kong Escapees


I picked up the newspaper this morning and read it and then wished I hadn’t. The news does that to me sometimes. It really makes you sad for what is going on out there and then it is hard to focus on what you are working on. There are times that I have actually started a quilt from my newspaper reading madness. My Hong Kong Escapees are a perfect example. Back in the late 90’s I read an article concerning chickens in Hong Kong that had been gassed. I realized why they had to do this. It was there methods that so upset me. The chickens didn’t actually die from the gas, many escaped to wander the countryside half dead. How could they not do the job right? Those poor chickens! I became obsessed with them. Reading every article I could and cutting them out. I eventually made the chicken quilt so that I could express my anger and sadness. Nothing has so emotionally pulled at me today that I feel the need to create something, but it still has left a void in my soul that holds me back from wanting to work on other projects. Someday I hope to live that hermit life where the news of the world doesn’t reach me and I can muddle through each day with no worry. Will this actually ever happen? I doubt it! My curiosity will probably get the best of me, but it is a nice thought to hold on to!

3 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Laura, those chickens were so cute until I read the story, now they are kind of sad.....

Tonya Ricucci said...

The chickens have such great personality - I'm sorry your reason for making them is so sad. No newspapers for you for at least a week.

Kay said...

Laura, I know just how you feel about the news and the hermit life. I find myself turning off the radio all the time now (I used to be an NPR junkie) because there is nothing but depressing news. The story that hurt me so much several years ago was the sheep killed in the UK because of foot and mouth disease. So I know how you reacted to the chickens.