Monday, March 13, 2006

Spring has Sprung


We have been experiencing heavy storms. This lets me know that spring is arriving here in Indiana. Other signs of arrival, kids preparing for spring break week, longer days, the furnace not running constantly! Spring is actually my least favorite season. We are very fortunate in Indiana to be able to enjoy all 4 seasons. To me spring is just an endless secession of rain. The warmer temperatures are nice, the longer days and the flowers peaking out, I enjoy all of these things. I guess I just don’t like the rain. Rain means muddy yard, muddy yard means big muddy paws tracking the mud through the house, big muddy paws means I have to mop daily! Quilting also comes to a halt in spring. Weekends are now taken up with baseball games and outdoor clean up. Winter gives me a reason not to have to go outside on the weekends. I feel I no longer have an excuse to sit home and quilt.

My quilting habits truly do change with the seasons. I tend to work more with wool in the spring and summer then fall and winter. That really doesn’t make sense. You would think it would be the opposite but it is not. Wool projects really transport easily. I can throw a little wool wall hanging, quilt block or needle bag into a baggie and take to the ballgame with me to work on. I don’t have to concentrate too much on these projects. They are finished with embroidery stitches and no edges to turn under. I can also work on them in the car when my husband is along for the trip. I have never gotten the knack of appliquéing in the car but I can embroider. Here are a couple of my small wool hangings. The one at top is entitled “Spring has Sprung”. A little like how I am feeling today. I must remember it is only March, we could still have a snowstorm!

11 comments:

Cher said...

very springy wall hangings-I like them...good you find a way to keep some quilty stuff going through your spring/summer.

tami said...

i love your wool appliques. there just seems to be something so special about primitive wool projects. i agree they are great take along projects.

Lily Mulholland said...

Laura, I love your wool quilting! I hadn't thought of that. What a great idea and the applique looks gorgeous.

Love Spring is Sprung. Of course it's autumn here in Australia, so the leaves are turning. Maybe I should try something in wool too!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Cute quilts - esp your favorite bees. Working on wool in the summer time... Makes sense after you explain it. Sorry to hear that spring means not so much quilting for you :(

Tracey said...

I don't know about Indiana...but here in Pa...IT'S SNOWING!! This is after several days of close to 70 degree weather. :o/
I'm not a big spring fan either for all of the reasons you stated. However...summer is a whole nother story. :o)

LOVE the wool...something that I would like to give a whirl one of these days.

Darcie said...

Your little wool pieces are adorable, Laura. I can totally relate your working on them in warmer weather, due to their tote-ability to kids' activities.

Your handwork is superb!

I also dislike the mud that is everywhere at this time of year. I have to make myself "stop to smell the flowers"...because all that I usually see is the mud and all of the work that needs to be done continually.

The Four Bears in the Woods said...

I really like your Spring is Sprung too, for that matter I like all of your work. I am not very crafty but do like looking at what others do. I envy people who can do this.

I don't like the rain either but I do love spring when everything seems to come alive. We had a spring-like week last week and got spoiled, but this week it has turned cold again. I can't wait for warm weather. When it rains I always try to remember the old saying "April showers bring May flowers"... that is what gets me through it.

I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog site too.

Mama Bear

Laurie Ann said...

Try getting a dog crate and putting it by the back door. My dogs have to stay in their crate for about 10 minutes before coming inside on a muddy day and then they don't track the mud inside. The crates have towels that absorb the mud while they are having their time out. They don't mind and always get a cookie for going in the crate.

Finn said...

Really pretty pieces Laura, you do such nice work..*VBS*

Lucy said...

OOhh with wool I love that !

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yes remember that - because today it is sunny and beautiful up here and tomorrow we are suppose to have snow!!!!!

Adam got an acceptance envelope from Purdue today.... I'll have to tell you all about that if I get to go to Paducah with you! I'm still buttering up Mark!