Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Primitive Applique


For many years I was a piecer. The “A” word really scared me. And in all reality I was happy piecing my quilts! Then the ideas started forming and to execute these ideas I was going to have to learn to appliqué. After poor attempts at this art I decided to take a class. I learned the ins and outs of appliqué and made my daughter a nice appliqué quilt for her birthday. Not long after I took a class from Terry Clothier Thompson, I will admit that Terry has influenced me greatly in my quilting. Since this first class I have taken many from Terry and continue to learn from her. In that first class I took with her she showed us some amazing appliqué quilts. She then had us look closely at them and many were appliquéd using a running stitch. These were quilts that were over 100 years old and had held up. She challenged us to use this stitch when appliquéing. Well there was no way I was going to give this a try. I had just learned to appliqué correctly and I just knew the quilt police would be all over me if I switched to the running stitch. So I went home from this class and continued to work using my slower but beautifully executed stitches. The funny thing was that I was getting no where real fast. I had all these ideas going through my head but my fingers couldn’t keep up with them. I decided I would give Terry’s method a try and to my utter amazement I loved it. I could work really quickly and I found that as long as I kept the thread color matched to the fabric, you really couldn’t tell that I had done a running stitch. I played around with this and started doing what I call “Primitive Applique”. This consists of not marking your background fabrics with the appliqué shapes as you would normally do. I just slap my pieces onto the fabric and either glue or pin them down depending on the size of the quilt top. I mark my shapes on freezer paper, cut out and iron onto the top of the fabric and cut out a scant ¼” from the edge. I like to have a bit larger piece of fabric to tuck under, this way I know I will catch both pieces when doing the stitch and it will stay secure. I then start pushing the fabric under the freezer paper piece as I stitch, a basic needleturn method, and using the running stitch go just along the top edge of the fabric. I have been able to complete a lot of quilts using this method and many have been washed numerous times and have held up perfectly.
Guess what, the quilt police never did show up. In fact they called me a primitive artist. Go figure! Now I teach other quilters my lazy methods and get paid for it. The greatest satisfaction I have received is from being able to actually complete some projects that I would otherwise not have gotten done. I challenge you to give it a try!
The quilt above is titled “Be free”. A couple of local guilds had asked me to come teach Primitive Applique and I didn’t want them to all bring in a different pattern to work on. So I designed this to cover all the areas we would work on, curves, circles, layering and points. Of course I couldn’t leave off words!

8 comments:

Finn said...

Sounds like a neat method Laura, I'm not an appliquer either, but it does intrigue me. I've done a little and not been very happy with the result.
I don't suppose you'd have time to snap a picture of a "setup" would you? With the shape laid on the background and how you position the freezer paper..I don't quite get that part. I'll keep thinking about it..LOL
I have a small(14" X 18") color wash piece, done in 2" squares. Have never done anymore with it and would sort of like to applique some stems, flowers, etc. or something to it and have it finished up. It was too much work to toss, so primative applique appeals to me. I dragged it out yesterday and looked at it again. I think it will need borders added as the size seems odd to me. I'd appreciate any pointers you could send my way...*VBS*

Tracey said...

Now that is really cool!! I had never heard of this method before...but it makes sense!! And to think that I've been making all of those tiny hidden stitches all this time when I coulda been doing it the primitive way! *sigh* You go! :o)

Tonya Ricucci said...

Ive done the running stitch applique too and really enjoyed it. Only I used a contrasting thread, working an eighth of an inch from the turned under edge - it looked like quilting stitches. I skip the step with the freezer paper.
I love your "be free" quilt - the sentiment as well as how it turned out.

Cher said...

well, you have given me hope one day I may follow your be free footsteps...thanks for the mini lesson...

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I've noticed a lot of antique quilts with straight stitched applique too..and I love it! I think it adds a lot of fun texture to the quilt! Let those stitches be seen!!

Bonnie

Quilts And Pieces said...

How cool that you got to take classes from Terry! You have gotten to take some great classes! I've heard she does her applique this way but have never seen it up close. When oh when am I going to get down there so you can teach me too!

Darcie said...

Absolutely love your little "Be Free," Laura! And the story and description that you shared of your process has me quite excited, I must say! I think I'm entering the "A" world much like you did.

So glad you shared this!

Unknown said...

Laura, thank you for the inspiration I love applique but have always been nervous about it. I think I'll give this running stitch a try....Tina