Monday, August 27, 2007

Liberated Doll Quilt


My husband and oldest son are really close. They are both outdoor adventurer types and have spent a lot of time together doing outdoorsy things. When Jess moved to Wyoming my husband was lost. All of a sudden he started doing this stuff with a guy he works with who is 20 years younger then him. Kayaking, climbing, you name it they spend there weekends doing this kind of stuff. My middle son who is not interested in any of it started calling this man “Replacement friend”. He hit the nail on the head. My husband was missing my son so much that he just replaced him with a new one. Well “Replacement friend” and my husband have headed West for a couple of weeks. They are going to spend it with my son in Wyoming. He is taking a few days off work to climb one of the Teton Mountains with them. They will then climb others on there own. It struck me as they were pulling out of the drive that we hadn’t even gotten “Replacement friends” full name. So here I run chasing the SUV to get his name and next of kin in case something would happen. I hope they all get along.
This has left us at home with a whole bunch of time on our hands. Mariah and I had a semi-stay home weekend. Our original plan was to be home all weekend, but you know how things never go as planned. First my car broke down so we got that into the garage to get fixed and I drove my oldest son’s car that he had in college and didn’t take with him when he moved. Well it broke down so I spent part of my weekend dealing with vehicles getting fixed. Then my middle boy’s football game was called because of storms on Friday night so we ended up traveling to the makeup game on Saturday. Lucky for us his car was still running. I was able to get the binding on this little doll quilt that I have been working on. It is made from the leftover scraps of a liberated string pieced quilt I had done. I used Tonya’s free hand fans with no hoop to quilt it. These were a little more difficult then the first one I had done because of all the seams involved in this little piece. But it was fun. I love using her fan method on these little quilts. I plan on working on something a little larger next time I try them.

9 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Lovely quilt...
My grand father got a replacement job when he retired. The next Monday he was at the Senior Center in the woodowrking shop churning out toys by the dozen!

Angie said...

Cute quilt, and your free-hand fan quilting is wonderful! Hope those 'men' have a safe wonderful time. Enjoy your time while they are out from under foot. :>

Libby said...

Love your little quilt - I hope to try the free-fans one day . . . in the meantime I still have my trusty stencil *S*

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Laura! I LOVE it! I"m starting to get so into solid fabric quilts! Still hesitant to quilt free hand with no hoop though!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Wheeee, so much fun. It's wonderful. Hope your husband and RF have a great time adn that you get to work on some fun stuff and not boring old car repairs.

Judy said...

I love the "RF" title.... we have a son who is an outdoor, climber, hiker kind of guy as well, wanting to return to the west as soon as the $$ show up! Love the little quilt and enjoyed looking at your dog quilt!

Mary Johnson said...

I'm getting ready to try Tonya's freeform fans too. Love this little quilt!

Lucy said...

I LOVE IT Laura !

Judy said...

Wonderful job with the fans! I'm glad hubby found a RF to do these kinds of excursions with him!