Friday, January 18, 2008

Another Finished Doll Quilt


I finished hand quilting another doll quilt this week. The picture doesn’t really show it off well but it is done! I have been spending the past couple of days back at organizing my fabric baskets. I have been working on my neutrals basket and you can all breathe a sigh of relief that I have not been throwing anything away. My plan is to someday do some of Bonnie’s great scrap quilt patterns and I figure I will need all the neutrals I can get. I have been pressing, re-folding and organizing into tone on tone piles, piles that have floral or other geometric backgrounds with color in them and piles of larger cut pieces. I am surprised that I have numerous pieces that are 2 yards or more of larger florals on cream or off-white backgrounds. I have no clue as to why I purchased these as I very seldom use florals in my work. I must have been drawn to them when I made the purchases. I have bought all the Jean and Valorie Wells flower books. I think I will go through them and see if they have any pieced quilts that these would work well in. I have been amazed at all the great fabrics that were lost to the bottom of the basket.
We are going to get really cold weather here this weekend and in to next week. Our old farmhouse doesn’t do well with below zero temps and winds. We have done all the insulation, new furnace, etc. It is just the problem of an old house with up teen doors and windows sitting out in the open prairie. My husband is out of town for a state coaches meeting so it will be up to me to make sure no pipes freeze. I don’t look forward to it. I do get Monday off for the holiday so I hope to maybe accomplish something on the quilting front this weekend. My plan is to make some vegetable soup tonight so I will be all set for the long weekend and maybe some hand quilting!

9 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

Your little quilt is adorable! I too have lots of florals around, mostly FQs. Maybe we buy them when it is cold outside in hopes of Spring!. I love jean and valori wells and have all of their books. Let us know which pattern you decide on.
Keep Warm!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Laura - now that is my kind of quilt! I LOVE it!

antique quilter said...

Laura, hope you stay warm this next week and have problems with the pipes...
I love this little quilt...from a pattern? or a combination of favorite things? that tree is awesome!!!!
having the quilt all basted helps me get more quilting done.
I am hoping to do even more this year.
Hope you have a great weekend and have lots of sewing time!
kathie

Fabricmom said...

Great job. Very cute.

Libby said...

Isn't it funny how you can find a long lost treasure at the bottom of a scrap basket. Sometimes I just plunge my hand to the bottom to see what comes up *s*

Carol E. said...

Stay warm! We are in a Deep Freeze as well (Minn.) Have a good, quilty weekend, and good luck with your pipes.

Purple Pam said...

I like your doll quilt. Do you use them, sell them, gift them? A fews years back we made a lot of doll quilts for our guild. They sold them in the country store, and made lots of money for the coffers.

I have a folk art quilt in progress (a few years in progress) called Coming Home Again. It is large and lots of applique. My applique teacher moved out of state, so that slowed down my applique progress. After viewing your quilts, it helps me get into the mood to bring my Coming Home Again out and finish the top. There isn't a lot to do, but getting to it is the issue.

Please stay warm and quilty.

Lea said...

Love it, Love it!!!
I personally love doll quilt and yours are so adorable. :-)

Judy said...

I remeber my mom always leaving the kitchen cabinets open on the super cold nights so the warm air would keep the sink pipes from freezing. I think it something she thought needed to be done, since we didn't live in an old house...That and leaving them dripping! Hope they survived! Love the quilt!