Friday, January 04, 2008

Whig Rose Variation


For quite a few years I have changed my monitor screen at work to feature a quilt each month. I choose a quilt that I think will inspire me for the month. Over the years I have had quilts from all mediums. This past year featured a lot of Tonya’s quilts that I saved a picture of for my inspiration book. This month I am featuring this gorgeous antique Whig Rose Variation. I think Dawn might have sent me the picture. I just love it and sometimes catch myself smiling when I look at it. Summertime months might feature something bright and whimsical. If I am working on a quilt that is from a published pattern I might scan a picture of it in and feature it for the month. It is always fun to choose each month.
This weekend won’t find me doing any quilting. My cousin Rose passed away on December 23rd. They chose not to have a funeral since it was so close to Christmas.
This Saturday they will have a memorial service in the city that she lived in and then on Sunday they are having a memorial service in the small town that she grew up in. We will attend both. She was only 48 and had battled cancer the past few years.

10 comments:

sossy said...

My deepest sympathies in the passing of your cousin Rose. I will be praying for a beautiful memorial service for you and your family and that your hearts will be filled with wonderful memories of Rose and the time you were able to spend with her.

Lots of Love, Sossy

tami said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. 48 is very young. My thoughts and prayers are with you and her family.

Melanie said...

My heart goes out to you in the loss of your cousin. 48 is so young--- (getting younger all the time) I bet her loved ones will need lots of support.

Lily Mulholland said...

Laura I am sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. Cancer is such a horrible thing. It picks on the loveliest people...way to young too. I hope the memorial services bring back some fond memories and give you all the opportunity to reminisce about Rose.

How fitting that you've chosen the Whig Rose quilt for your monitor - it is totally gorgeous! Wish I could do the same at my work, but they control everything on our computers!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'm sorry about your cousin. I think I'd be incredibly distracted from work if I was looking at pics of quilts and I'm always distracted enough as it is!

Carol E. said...

I'm so sorry you lost your cousin, and at such a young age. I hope the memorial services are comforting and helpful to all.

YankeeQuilter said...

My prayers are with you and your family.
Siobhan

Quilts And Pieces said...

Sorry to hear about Rose. Wow you are having a rough winter. And yes I believe I did send you that picture - don't you just LOVE that quilt!

Lucy said...

You have my prayers. I know I'm late, but I think you went through a hard time. 48 is too yougn!

Val said...

I'm sorry about your cousin. I assume the timing will make this Christmas a hard one for the family.