Monday, January 14, 2008

Bee Quilt Done


We had another busy weekend. Saturday evening I was invited to a colleague’s home. He is originally from Pakistan and he fixed us a true Pakistan dinner. It was excellent! It was spicy and I love spicy food. Sunday found us at church and then a potluck dinner following it. A friend of ours is retiring from the church board after many years of service. They honored him yesterday. We then rushed home to watch our Indianapolis Colts get beat. In between all of this I was actually able to get a little sewing done. I couldn’t seem to keep my mind going on one project so I worked on many. I was able to get the binding sewed on my Bees quilt. My good friend Carol quilted this for me back in late November early December and I am just getting it finished. She did a fantastic job as usual. I designed this a few years back when my Tuesday group talked of having a Roosting Robin. This is like a round robin but instead of passing your quilt on each round you do it yourself following that rounds rules. During the football game I actually hand quilted on a primitive Baltimore Applique quilt that I have been working on forever. I am in the middle of my second border so I think I will keep this one out and get it finished. Last winter I had worked on string blocks in Gwen Marston’s liberated form. I was able to get them sashed and most of the rows sewed together. I hope to finish that one up in the mornings this week and get the borders on this coming weekend. My biggest project for this past weekend was to get the appliqués cut and pinned to my background for our guilds challenge quilt. I was able to get that done and will work on it during my lunch hours the next couple of weeks. I need to have the appliqué done before my annual “Miss Mary’s” retreat the end of this month. The quilt is going to consist of a lot of words that I will do using Tonya’s freestyle method. That will be my retreat project. The quilt challenge is that you have to have a representation of your idea of a house somewhere on the quilt. Mine will also be our 25th anniversary quilt. Saves me from worrying about getting 2 separate quilts finished. Well, I am off to work.

5 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

I thought the challenge was it had to be a letter of the alphabet and using a color taht starts with that letter..... I'm confused! :)

Rosalyn Manesse said...

The applique quilt is wonderful. And you designed it! You have enough projects going to make my head spin. Maybe I should work on more at a time, like you do. It seems that way, you always have something you can pick up and work on.

Tonya Ricucci said...

fabulous. I love how you document you and your family's life through your quilts. the anniversary quilt is going to be awesome, just like this one.

Lea said...

Hi, Laura! Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier and left a nice comment. :-)
Your Bee quilt is beautiful. I love these applique borders!

antique quilter said...

I need to start doing that too, making quilts to remember an occasion or birthday...
that is wonderful.
I love this little quilt you are showing here...
what bright colors , my daughter would love that!
good for you using your time to sew in the morning isn't it a great way to start your day!
Kathie