Friday, February 01, 2013

Today is a big day, a very big day. Today is my mom and dad's 60th wedding anniversary. Wow, I can't imagine spending 60 years with someone but they have and they are definately good at it! I have basically had a charmed life because of these two wonderful people. You see, almost 50 years ago I was their chosen child. They have been told my mama was young and unwed and surely couldn't raise a daughter on her own so they were the ones that brought me home from the hospital instead. I grew up with an older sister who was also a chosen child and my younger sister who they were finally blessed with having. We had a fun time growing up, great memories of neighborhood friends and yearly vacations then when my older sister was 18 she became really sick. She never fully recovered and my parents have spent the last 34 years dedicated to loving her and seeing that she can live the fullest life possible. They have always been there for each and every one of us and for their 5 grandchildren also. They never missed an event one of these kids was involved in and drove miles to be at each and every sporting event. The past year has been a rough one. My mom is a diabetic and it is getting worse for her, my dad was diagnosed with bone cancer and he is getting weaker but they still show the same dedication to each other and to each one of us girls that they did when they brought us home for the first time. I love them so very much and I am so very blessed to have been chosen by them.

5 comments:

regan said...

Congratulations to your lovely parents! What a beautiful tribute you've written for them.....I hope you read it at the party! Beyond what we do or achieve in life, it all comes back to how our parents showed us love. You truly are blessed!

Lindah said...

What a sweet story! Your parents sound like wonderful people. Happy Anniversary to them. Thank you for sharing their/your story. Indeed, you are blessed.

antique quilter said...

what a tribute....so sweet.
you have been blessed.
Kathie

Laura said...

What a beautiful post and congratulations to your parents!

Sharon said...

How fabulous, my parents made it 49 1/2 years and my mom passed away. Sounds like you were raised in a very loving family, we just don't hear that now adays.