Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Birds and More

Without even being aware I recently discovered that I have been drawn to the bird motif.

Bird in living room.


Bird box in bedroom to store scarves in.


Box of notecards.


Pitcher recently purchased.


This weekend I was in the mood to draw and create in fabric so I prepared a couple of small
Doll size quilts to work on this spring/summer. Three of them ended up with birds on them.
I first draw my patterns to size on paper. Then I like to appliqué with the paper on top so I draw my shapes next onto the freezer paper, cut out and iron to my fabric, cut again and then place on my fabric.
So with that said all of these still have the freezer paper on top of the fabric.
This is my interpretation of a bittersweet bush with blue birds. It is 14 x 17 and has over 80 orange ovals I will have to appliqué down.


Bright Flowers.


A simple bird in a tree. The purple bird fabric will border it.


More bright flowers with blue berries.


Very simple large shapes as I love to echo quilt around these.


My pup!



Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

6 comments:

Angie said...

Adorable---the applique and most especially that sweet pup face! :)

Cardygirl said...

The birds are everywhere at your place! The applique will be lovely.

Barb said...

I love birds - and use the motif often. Your samples are lovely!
what a sweet pup, sitting so nice!

Linda Copas said...

I love them all . . . so glad you are keeping your needle threaded and creating such lovely works of art.

We miss you . . . anything you need from Paducah?

QuiltingFitzy said...

So as usual...I have a question, lol.

When you applique this way, you tuck the edges under and basically make the shape disappear under the paper? Are you using freezer paper?

I love these blocks!!

Jan said...

Those are wonderful. Can't wait to see the finished product. Knowing you they will be done by camp time.