Monday, January 30, 2012

Moving Forward



Three years ago my husband of 25 years went on a fishing trip, he came back with a new girlfriend and a divorce and thus my life forever changed - for the better, lol. I don’t know if I could have said that three years ago but I have definitely come full circle and really enjoy the person I have become. Life is funny like that sometimes. When this all took place my quilt friends being the wonderful group of gals that they are gifted me with some letter blocks. You see I have a love for words, always have. It goes back to my days of being a young girl and immersing myself in the poetry of Emily Dickinson and Rod McKuen. Words started showing up in my quilts in the early 90’s and have continued to do so since. So it was only natural that when I was feeling down they each made me a letter spelling out there love for me. I love these letters, they are all so unique, so the friend that made them. I have cherished them for three years now and know that the time has come to create a quilt with them.



I have completed that circle of disbelief to happiness. The time has come to put those letters into words, my friends words, my own words. Thus the divorce quilt is evolving. The letters are sewn together and the work on the borders, my words, has begun. As I said before, life is funny like that sometimes, you don’t know what it has in store for you but with a little bit of love from your friends and a whole lot of faith you will survive and continue to move forward.

“I am not afraid of storms for I am learning to sail my ship.” - Louisa May Alcott

9 comments:

antique quilter said...

what a great quilt , good for you!
Kathie

Tonya Ricucci said...

so glad you've come to such a happy place. wonderful to having you blogging again so much. I say as I blog less and less :)

Nanci said...

What a great way to memorialize the new you. God bless your wonderful friends for doing this for you, I'm sure it made the past 3 years more bearable.

Andee said...

Congrats on coming through to the other side...glad my ex only took 13 years to do pretty much the same as yours. It has been 12 years now and I am happier than I ever been. :) It takes time but glad you are on your way to that too!

Brenda said...

I'm glad you can read daily how your friends feel about you. How did you make the letters on the outside of the quilt? thanks for sharing this quilt and this post.

Melanie said...

You are my Hero..... You know, by the time you are our age--- everybody has a story of some kind. I always say, God gives blessings, happiness is a choice. You are finding your way-- I never doubted you... You're kids will always see you as a strong lady...Keep quilting....
MEL

Jan said...

As I have said so often to you, "you need to write a book" Your ability to put so much love, laughter and wisdom into words is unbelievable. We do Love You Laura and are very proud of you and your new happy life. Jan

Annie said...

You are so inspiring! Adding to your quilt is a beautiful thing!

Lynn Dykstra said...

Beautiful sentiments.
Beautiful quilt.