Thursday, June 29, 2006

Journaling with Blackbird Designs


I think my journaling class with Blackbird Designs has to rank up there with one of the best classes I have ever taken. I wasn’t quite sure what I was getting into. They were extremely organized. They had various stations set up, a cutting station with different types of scissors and rotary cutters, a glue station, a color copy machine area where you could copy or resize your pictures you had brought with you. An old typewriter was set up and a table that was full of scrapbook pages, ribbons, fabric, metal letters, stickers, cards of different styles, etc. Alma of Blackbird has journaled for years. She showed us many of her journals. She does them almost in altered book form. Adding things on top of each other and also adding her writing. We were to choose a theme and go with it. It should be something we could write about. Class projects, cooking, stitching, etc. I chose my daughter Mariah’s quilts. I have made her a quilt each year of her life and have written in a book each year things about her. I thought it would be fun to dedicate pages for each quilt, thoughts of that year and a picture of her. I got as far as my cover done. I think this will be really fun to play around with. I am including all kinds of pictures of pages and covers from Alma’s journals. I also took pictures of all the class participants journals, I can’t share them since I didn’t get permission but I am going to hang on to these just to get some ideas. Everyone seemed to go in a different direction. It was a very fun class and I left it really inspired. http://www.dashdist.com/blackbird.html
Tomorrow is all about my class with Ginger Sanchez.

9 comments:

KC Quilter said...

Okay, now I am REALLY kicking myself. I love journals and your pix were devine. Thanks for sharing. I hope they do a Gathering again next year!!!

quiltpixie said...

It looks like it was a very creative time...

Melanie said...

Laura, I love the key on the journal. Journals are something that increase in value as time goes on. It's nice to see them. I have a couple of journals I wnat to post, but yours are something else. How great it must be to take a class like that. I've never even taken a quilt class.
Sounds like your have a good summer.
Melanie

Judy said...

Wow! I keep a quilting journal but really never thought of adding things to it and writing my progress in there! I'll have to think about that!

Do you color and ecorate the pages first and then do your journaling. I love Alma's journals. I bet your daughter will cherish her record of her quilts!

Judy said...

that's ...decorate.

Pam said...

Wow, it sounds like you have had an incredible time. I think I'm jealous.

Quilts And Pieces said...

These are so fun. But it is sure something I couldn't do - just too free form! :) And I can't write as well as you! But they are SO FUN to look at!

Darcie said...

Wow Laura! You've really got something beautiful going on there for Mariah. She's a lucky girl!

Alma's pages are beautiful. I love the aged look of her pages...the ripping...the writing here and there. Thanks for sharing!

Finn said...

What a neat post Laura, I love journaling, and these are spectacular!!

It's such a very personal thing...and I am reminded of collages rather than the old write in diary format. I can see where this would/could be alot of fun as well as an heirloom. Great idea to journal about DD's quilts. Hugs, Finn