Monday, June 26, 2006

Liberty Trip


Each day this week I will write about my trip to Liberty, Mo for the Liberty Gathering. I had a great time and was once again inspired by all I saw and did. We left a day early and spent the drive over (8 hours without stops) stopping at some of our favorite quilt shops. I love the Hen House in St. Louis, MO. It is really primitive and has always been one of my favorites. We also spent some time in St. Charles, MO shopping along the riverfront at all the little shops and visiting Patches Quilt Store. We arrived outside of Kansas City around 11pm. The next morning we were up early and headed out for another day of shopping. We had decided to not sign up for classes so we could do some antiquing and visit some of the area quilt and rug hooking shops that we usually miss. We made drove down to the Blue Springs area and visited with Julie Kiffen who owns http://www.Libertyquiltshop.com. She was set up in an area of the Wooly Woolens shop. Here are some pictures of her small area. Going through the door you were transported to Janice Johnson’s wool and rug hooking area. It is so awesome to see the wool lined up along the wall. Janice does gorgeous primitive rugs and we found her wool to be the least expensive of all the shops we visited. We then headed over to Rustic Yearnings another primitive quilt shop and Quilters Station which is a really large quilt shop. Quilters Station was also hosting a primitive gathering and they had some great teacher quilts hanging in a large gallery room. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures. We then headed back to Liberty for a salad supper and auction that we had signed up to attend. The auction had only 35 items but they were works of art that various primitive artists had donated. Hooked Rugs, quilts, penny rugs, chalkware, etc. It was a lot of fun! More tomorrow…

4 comments:

Judy said...

So that's a whole wall of wool?? WOW!! I've never done anything with wool, none of the shops here do wool, although I have seen it done occasionally on Simply Quilts. Looks lucious!

Can't wait to see the rest!

Melanie said...

Can't wait to read more. Looks like you had fun. Thankful you had a safe trip.

Melanie

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh when I see walls of wool like that I want to MAKE THINGS! But I just don't have time! I always love those hooked rugs, but am so afraid of getting sucked into it!!!! Oh it sounds like you had fun, but tired! OK, you have to email me - were your classes good? Cherie said the primitive gathering was wonderful, how was liberty?

Tonya Ricucci said...

I would love to see all the hooked rugs etc in person. Looks wonderful and glad you had a marvelous trip and made it home safely.