Friday, September 22, 2006

Pumpkins!


I have this crazy addiction for pumpkins! I am so happy that it is pumpkin season again and that I am already seeing them for sale along the roadside. A few years ago I had the mother load of all pumpkin seasons. I work in ag with soybeans. A couple years back our corn group did a test field for some form of rootworm but instead of growing corn they grew pumpkins. Now I am talking acres and acres of pumpkins that were not going to be harvested. In early September they told our group that they were headed over there to mow them down. The pumpkins had been planted early and were at full maturity already. I couldn’t stand the thought of all those lovely pumpkins coming to an early death before they were fully appreciated. With that in mind I coerced one of my fellow employees to go over there with me. We took the big dually and filled it up with all those beautiful orange orbs. I was so excited. That evening I filled the back end of my station wagon up and headed home. I had the largest pile of pumpkins right in my front yard and I had no clue with what I was going to do with them. The next morning he and I headed back over for another fill up. We were generous with all the other employees and then hauled the remaining ones to my house. I was in pumpkin heaven. I had them everywhere, on the lawn, in the house with my large wooden dough bowls full. The best surprise came the following year. I had to dispose of all that orange after Thanksgiving so we hauled them all back to an area we call the burn pit. The following summer I had a large plot of volunteer pumpkins. I was able to enjoy 2 full years of pumpkins from that one research project! This year I hope to find some really nice blue and white gourds to add to my mix that I have already purchased and of course some bittersweet and yellow and green gourds, and nice big mums and well you get the picture!

12 comments:

Libby said...

I love pumpkins, too. I have been thinking about where to display them this year. It's still too warm to have them on my porch (full sun = mushy pumpkins) I'm thinking the first batch can go on the hearth and then .....

Joyce said...

We had a ton of pumpkins one year and a lot of them stayed in the garden and froze. What surprised me was that the deer ate them frozen. It must have been like an ice cream treat for them.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

That is a very funny pumpkin story! Enjoy this special time of year... My Nana used to rent her fields to cow farmers who grew cow-corn, but they often planted other things (like pumpkins)... something to do with rotating the soil, etc. for nutrients and they would plow a crop into the ground... but Nana always let me go get a few pumpkins first!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Quilts And Pieces said...

Now pumpkins I like! And that wool one is so awesome! I love it!

sewprimitive karen said...

All those pumpkins, and even a second crop, you were indeed in Autumn Heaven.

Juliann in WA said...

I love pumpkins too - this one is a beauty - thanks for the inspiration
Juliann

Judy said...

I saw them in the grocery yesterday! Gourds in all colors and it made me smile!

Tazzie said...

Ohhh how fun! You know, there are so many much worse things to be addicted to than pumpkins ... hmmm ... like fabric!! *lol*
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Lily Mulholland said...

Oh Laura that sounds like so much fun :)

I love pumpkins too - to look at, touch, and of course eat!!

Lovely yummy orange stuff!

Jenni said...

What fun! I have a pumpkin vine that came up in the compost. I had some very nice pumpkin soup from the crop.

ForestJane said...

Could you eat or freeze them or were they for display only? I like pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins and pumpkin pie... :)

Darcie said...

Great story, Laura! A lot of good laughs go along with it for you and your co-workers, I'm sure.

Your autumn scene-in-the-works sounds so very picturesque! Don't forget to snap some pictures please!