Monday, September 18, 2006

Scrappy Star Quilt Done


It is nice to finally be able to show something I have accomplished in quilting! It seems like it has been forever since I actually finished a quilt. This is a wallhanging, I believe around 48 x 48 that is a Lynda Hall pattern. Last Christmas I decided this was going to be the year to use scraps. This quilt top used the smallest of scraps that I had and was a lot of fun. That is until I got to the part where you added the triangles. She had included both rotary cutting instructions which I used for the squares and templates which I used for the triangles so I could cut them from different fabrics. The two did not match up, not even close. I spent a frustrating afternoon figuring out the correct math, ripping out and re-cutting. But I persevered and finished the top! (Lynda now has a correction on her website!) My good friend and excellent longarmer Carol did the quilting for me.

We had a really gorgeous weekend and I had a hard time staying inside and sewing. I did get the binding on this quilt done and that was about it. We went to our local pumpkin farm and I bought 10 pumpkins to decorate with, my husband had brought home some big beautiful mums on Friday so my porch is looking especially nice right now. I enjoyed just sitting on my rocker on the porch and watching them harvest the corn across the road from us. To bad the weather has changed to rain today and the forecast shows cooler temps all week. It will truly be football weather for the game tonight.

15 comments:

Patti said...

Beautiful quilt Laura! I love her patterns so much. I've got a bunch of them but haven't found time to do any of them yet.

We have a gray rainy day today - first time it's been like this in months. The little rain we've had lately has been from a passing storm on an otherwise bright sunny day. I am so loving this cool rain - we needed it so badly!

quiltpixie said...

ooooh I love hte quilt top. I've been busy making HST that finish at 1", and sondering what I might do with them This gives me lots of ideas....

Libby said...

It's a small world ... I shared a photo of the same quilt on my blog this morning. I did not get the outline around the stars. Had planned on doing so and completely missed that step in the instructions. No brains -- no headaches *s* I love your version.

Carol said...

Laura it is just wonderful! That is one that I've wanted to do for a while but just haven't gotten to it...now today I saw 2 of them...that must be a sign.

Melanie said...

I love your quilt. Several of you have done this. I've never paid attention to Lynda Hall Patterns, But I'm going to research her patterns now.
Melanie

dot said...

Beautiful.. This is truely stunning and you will enjoy for many years.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Looks cozy and warm and inviting. You did a marvelous job with those colors. Great quilt and hurray for finishing it.

Lily Mulholland said...

WEll done Laura!!!

KC Quilter said...

Great quilt, Laura!!! I love Lynda Hall's patterns-so prim and rustic. And I love the names she gives to her patterns. Sounds like fall has arrived at your house.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Laura! I have that pattern and have wanted to do it for so long! Now I'm thinking I HAVE to do it! maybe I'll do it at my Nov retreat! I love it! But at least now I know to look for the pattern corrections first!

Darlene said...

What a pretty quilt - so scrappy and wonderful. I love Lynda's patterns and just got an order from her recently as none of our local quilt stores carry her patterns. grrrr

Lucy said...

What a great quilt Laura!

and I just read your comment at bonnie's blog that you are going to Paducah too!! So I meet you there... OOhh My, this is going to be so fun !

Judy said...

The quilt is so beautiful Laura, even with the troubles with the triangles! I've had that happen too a few times!

I love the scrappy look of the center. It really looks wonderful!

Tazzie said...

Laura, your quilt is just lovely, the scraps just look wonderful. Well done!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Marlublu said...

That scrappy star quilt is beautiful. It would look stunning on a bed. Great colors even if they are scraps.