Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Vegetable Soup


It was gloomy on Sunday so I decided to make soup and homemade bread. The bread is easy since I have a bread maker. Usually the soup of choice around my house is chili but I was really hungry for vegetable soup so I made it instead. Years ago a girl I worked with made the best vegetable soup. It wasn’t anything like my mothers in that she always made hers with stew meat. I have always made mine like my friend’s. It is simple and very good.

In a large pot cook 2 # of ground beef. Pour off fat. Add:
2 cans of V-8 juice
2 large bags of frozen mixed vegetables
1 small head of chopped cabbage
Any other vegetables you would like to add.
Cook until vegetables are done.

And in honor of fall I hung this maple leaf quilt I made back in the 90’s outside my back porch door to welcome those who visit!

9 comments:

Libby said...

A fantastic backporch welcome. The soup sounds yummy.

Melanie said...

I have put ground meat in soup...it's great. We're kind of rice people too. So I serve it over rice. Just like my broccoli soup I listed a few days ago. I serve it over rice. Love the quilt.
Melanie

Lily Mulholland said...

Laura I've never heard of meat in vegetable soup before! In Australia, when we say vegetable soup we really mean vegetarian soup! No meat :) And we are big meat eaters, so vegetable soup usually gets a 'lukewarm' response from most men!!

Darcie said...

What a lovely welcome quilt! Is that a Johanna Wilson pattern? If it is...I made the same one! Love the border fabric that you used.

Your soup sounds terrific. V-8 makes a great soup base...I've used it too. Thanks for sharing...it is indeed soup weather...mmmm...and homemade bread!

Linda C. said...

DH and I always say we wouldn't do well in a southern climate because we so look forward to the change in our diet with the change of seasons. He confessed last night to craving chili, and for myself, I just keep thinking of a recipe I have for Cheesy Corn Chowder with ham. Nothing smells as good as a fresh loaf of bread. DH says "they say man cannot live on bread alone, but I sure could give it a good try!"

Quilts And Pieces said...

You cooked!!!!????? hee hee!

I was actually dying for chicken noodle and dumpling soup last night! Course I didn't bother to make it! Maybe this weekend.

Pam said...

V-8 for a soup base - I never thought of that I bet it would be good to add to soup. Everybody lately has been so into autumn and soup recipes etc. There was a great pumpkin soup recipe posted the other day that sounded wonderful. I will have to try it.

I loved your pumpkin story also. In the fall when we drive to Tofino there is a pumpkin event that goes on along the road and there are hundreds of pumpkins lining the highway for 30 miles or so - I just love seeing them every time we go.

Dona said...

Soup and Homemade bread, perfect for these fall days. Love the quilt, such rich colors.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Have you ever tried using the Spicy Variety of V-8? It's a great pick-up addition. I have trouble finding the large cans out here, but in the midwest they were readily available.