Friday, May 04, 2007

Crazy Spider Quilt


I find that even after viewing all the gorgeous quilts in Paducah that I am still drawn to the same styles. There was nothing new that grabbed my eye that I thought, “Whoa, I have to try that”. I think my favorite display was at the Museum. They had a selection of Rose quilts and they were awesome. You could get right up on them and look at the appliqué and quilting. So inspirational! I have come home to a job all day and running kids in the evenings so my time has been extremely limited but I did find the time to pull one of my favorite books off the shelf, Minnesota Quilts, my plan was to peruse the pages looking for a great rose quilt. That ended when I got to the page with this crazy quilt on it. Isn’t it wonderful! I love how half the blocks are crazy quilted and the other half are spider web blocks. It amazes me that when looking at the old quilts we see what artists these ladies were. Here I have to see the old quilts or go through books to get inspired to do something different and these ladies didn’t have these options and were creating such masterpieces. I can’t help but look at the antique quilts and the pictures of old quilts and compare them to the quilts I see in the shows today and feel that they were way ahead of us when it came to creativity and design.

9 comments:

Joyce said...

I like the fact that they used whatever they had on hand and didn't seem obsessed with technical details the way many people are nowadays. It gives their quilts a life that many contemporary quilts lack.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I so agree! It is the old traditional type quilts that always catch my eye, that haunt me, and that I have to make! This one is so cool!

Lynn Dykstra said...

This is a wonderful quilt--Thanks for sharing it. We get our inspiration from great work from the past.

Unknown said...

What a wonderfull quilt. I love the top and bottom borders. I always wonder how the quilters from the past got there ideas.

Lizzy

Lucy said...

I agree with you and I LOVE the antique red and green we saw at the museum ! It was my tickte worth to see them in reality. What never would be happen here !

Tonya Ricucci said...

I agree whole-heartedly. That's a beauty of a quilt - love the uneven borders.

Libby said...

I agree - I am always drawn to the antique quilts, too. While I can appreciate the workmanship in a quilt of any style . . . I always go back to those favorites.

Judy said...

I realized looking at my pictures from our quilt show that I took pictures of the antique quilts, older traditional patterns, and traditional applique quilts..like Baltimore albums. I find these are much more creative and beautiful! I think the last 5 books I bought were old state quilt books!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Oh, This is my kind of quilt!! I liove it!

Bonnie