Wednesday, June 18, 2008

4-Block Quilts


Kathie is talking about starting a new 4-block quilt. I have written before about my love of 4-block quilts, it goes back to that Gwen Marston Rose and Tulips book I spoke of a couple of posts ago. Amazon has Gwen’s Classic 4-Block Quilts book as low as $4.00 in the used section. That is a steal.
Terry Clothier Thompson has also highly influenced me. Please check out her website as she has many patterns available. Her 4 blocks are under the title Applique by the Yard. These quilts are so simple yet so elegant. I find that most of the time I am drawn to the ones that are really basic but have an awesome border. I love the one I am showing. It is from my scanned picture collection. The 4 blocks are real basic in that they are the Carolina Lily pattern but the border is what draws your attention. Kathie has gotten me excited about 4 blocks again but my plan this year is to finish some projects up before I start any new ones. I need to hold myself to that, of course that is easier said then done!

7 comments:

antique quilter said...

oh come on Laura make one with me this summer, I know you can do it too!
email me when you get a chance!
kathie

Patti said...

Oh wow! You have really brightened up your blog - love it!

I'm with you - I'd love to start a four block applique quilt. I just can't allow myself to do that however. I was supposed to focus once again on UFO's this year. I've done that, but I've also started at least four new projects - three of which are long term. And I wasn't supposed to start any more!

Amanda said...

What a pretty quilt, it looks so intricate - and difficult!

Juliann in WA said...

Your blog is beautiful! And this 4block idea has been floating around in my head for months. I even bought some fabric in April to do one so maybe I need to get started.

Lucy said...

I will join kathie and you with a four block. I love these kind of quilts.

sewprimitive karen said...

I have always loved four-block quilts too and it's high on my To Do list to make one. Love the one you've pictured.

Debbie said...

Love the 4 block quilt. What pattern is that? The colors are wonderful. That is quite an undertaking.