Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Home January 11, 2006



I feel our homes are an extension of ourselves. They become a part of who we are. Since quilts are a part of me they have become a part of my home. Just about anywhere you look you will find a quilt. On the wall on a bed, folded at the end of the sofa even hanging outside.
I like to hang my "Glory" quilt out on our front porch in the summer. It began with a bargello flag I made at a Indiana State Quilt Guild retreat. The bunting was picked up on the discount table at the local department store. It was the border of a Daisy Kingdom tablecloth. With a little help from a friend who is a whole lot more mathematically inclined then I am I was able to get the look I was striving for. Every Autumn when I take it down it is a bit more faded then last year. Just like the house it has become a part of. So it is washed and then washed again in a rit dye bath and it is ready to hang the next summer and grace the old house again.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the 'wonderful' world of blogging. I have been reading several and found I had to join to comment/ ask questions, so I did.

First hubby was from Richmond, Indiana ... what an interesting community. But I don't miss chiggers.

Look forward to hearing from you and seeing more projects.

Cindy B.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Hi Laura, saw your comment over at Bonnie's blog. Welcome. I love the quilt and I'm impressed with your acceptance of its fading - have to admit I find that hard. When you say you wash it in a "rit dye bath" what color are you dyeing it? Still looks red and white and blue to me.
From what I can see of it, your house looks wonderful, old and victorian.
Can't wait to see some of your quilts with words.
Word of advice, turn on the "word verification" feature so you don't get comment spam.
cheers, Tonya

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your summer quilt looks so perfect hanging on your porch! And I see Tonya has been to visit - Oh man go see her stuff - talk about talent!

Catherine said...

I love this quilt on your front porch...which is fabulous, by the way.

Susan Tidwell said...

Love your thoughts on 'home'. And love your 1890's home. The bits of gingerbread in the design is priceless. I know it is a job to keep it up, good luck with that!

The Calico Cat said...

I live that quilt - teh bunting it GREAT!