Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A little Alien Love



Okay. I admit I have a fascination with aliens. Put a UFO show on the tube and I am glued to it for the next 2 hours. Put a movie out about Alien's and I am first in line to see it. It is just hard for me to believe that we are the only life forms in this Universe. So, it is only natural that this love of what is out there has crossed over into my quilting.
It all began with a guild challenge quilt. We were to have a house somewhere on the quilt top. the day I began working on the design my oldest son was home sick from school. He was flipping through the channels and started watching one of our favorite movies, Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Movie. After sitting with him and watching it not only once but twice, catching it on both East and West channels, it hit me. My house would be a spaceship. I found some great alien fabric. I did a basic pieced center and then added my son's favorite Sci-Fi movies to the border along with a few famous UFO sites and his favorite Twilight Zone Episode. I put ET Phone Home in 3 cornerstones with the Spaceship in the 3rd one. The 4th cornerstone had 1947 Roswell, NM. It was so much fun to do, of course it didn't win any awards but my son really enjoyed it. Now Beam Me Up Scotty, it is time to go work on some of my UFO's!

6 comments:

dot said...

I really like this. It should have won an award for creativity. Some people just don't get it.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Laura you are my hero. I love love love this quilt too. You're not going to believe it, but Bonnie found a pic of this quilt while she was surfing the internet last summer and showed it to me cuz she knew I'd love it too. Can you please post more close-ups. pretty please, I'd love to see more.

Have you seen my Alien Invasion quilt? try: http://quiltville.com/tonya/alphabetgallery.shtml

I have another quilt which I haven't posted yet that is all aliens and houses. I need to get that bad boy back out and start quilting on it again.
I love alien movies too, but have to admit I've never see the MST 3000.

Quiltgranny said...

Love the pics - and love the creativity! Your son is very lucky to get to see your "creative process" at work!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh my gosh Laura! I have that background fabric you used in the corners! I remember now seeing this quilt of yours before! But I can't say I have an alien thing for me!

Anonymous said...

Creativity plus! My DS(15) loves this quilt too :-)

Catherine said...

TOO cool.