Friday, January 20, 2006



Two of my favorite quilts are the Harriet Powers Bible Quilts. What is so amazing about these two works of art are that they both ended up in museums (Smithsonian, Fine Arts, Boston) and not lost to history forever. It took Harriet 12 years to complete both quilts. All the pieces were cut directly from the fabric free hand and came from the bible stories she had heard over the years. They have to be the ultimate in story quilts.


A folk art group I was chatting with online got on the subject of Harriet and her quilts. One of our members, Anna, is a strongly spiritual woman. She decided to replicate the quilt telling her own bible stories. When she completed her quilt I purchased the block patterns from her so I could do my own.

I have loved working on this. The quilt has nine blocks and a semi-pieced border. My border is going to be different then Anna's. I am going to do mine in a Gwen Marston fashion. Lots of Noah's animals, more story telling figures, and words, lots of words. It will be a gift for my daughter, hopefully to be passed on to many generations.

12 comments:

Cher said...

a special family treasure!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what a beautiful bible quilt Harriet made! I'd never seen taht picture before! I've seen Anna's bible quilt though - I didn't know you were making one! How cool!

Sarah said...

Great quilts! This is sure to be a family heirloom.

Thanks for sharing!

Sarah

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I love folky quilts that tell stories, or at least facts about the maker. Quilts from the 1800s...where they boldly appliqued their initials or their whole name and date either in the middle of the quilt, or the border...no little label on the back, put mine on the front please! :c) The bible quilt is going to be so great finished.

Bonnie

Joanne said...

I love the Folk Art look, too. Those are great blocks you're doing and the original is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Harriet's quilt is truly something special, as yours will be - what a wonderful family treasure!

Granny said...

Sounds neat! I also love quilts that tell stories or even quilts that have stories behind them. What a great idea!

Judy L.

Tonya Ricucci said...

The Powers quilts really are remarkable. Your border sounds great.

antique quilter said...

I have always LOVED Harriet Powers quilt. Anna's interpretationn is fun too. I like your fabric choices what a different look, Your border idea sounds awesome , I am a big fan of Gwen Marston so can't wait to see your border as you progress! Keep us posted.
Kathie

Tracey said...

That is going to be *beautiful*! Folk art just can't be beat!

Quiltgranny said...

What a wonderful treasure to work on - AND to pass along, too!

Kyra said...

Lovely blocks! Thanks for sharing these. I'm also a fan of Harriet Powers.

Kyra
www.BlackThreads.blogspot.com