Tuesday, May 16, 2006

4 - Block quilts


I have long been a lover of 4-block quilts. It all began with the purchase of Gwen Marston’s Rose and Tulip book. I loved each and every quilt in that book. I have always said that if I could only keep one book that would be the one. Not long after purchasing that book I took a 4-block class from Terry Clothier-Thompson. I have spoken of her before and how she has been such a great influence on my quilting. At this point I decided I would attempt to accomplish a 4-block quilt every other year. I have really kept to this promise. A couple are still just the 4-blocks. I envision some fantastic border with them but I am short the fabric, so they sit. I made a list this year of a few UFO’s I definitely want to finish within the year. They are both on it so I will need to pull them out soon. This is one I made a year and a half ago. I took it to my quilter last year and got it back a few months ago. I know what my 4 block will be this year, it is a pieced one so I plan on working on it at our retreat this fall. I have 2 others down on paper that I designed myself so I hope to accomplish them in the next couple of years.
A little history on 4-block quilts; they were most likely to have been first constructed by those of German descent. As these people moved within the United States the designs spread with them. The 4-block setting was at it’s height in popularity between 1820 and 1870. Cloth production had boomed by 1830 and large pieces of fabric were readily available. Many of the block designs had Pennsylvania-German characteristics such as brightly colored fabrics, Fraktur-style tulips, feather vines and urns of flowers. Our first centennial in 1876 was commemorated with 4 –block; quilts using a single eagle in each block. Very few pieced 4-block quilts have been found in state documentations. The most common pieced patterns would be Blazing Star, Rocky Mountain and 8 pointed stars.

12 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Cool quilt (I like the way the border echos the blocks) & thanks for the lesson.

I bought enough "papers" to do a 4 block lone star - oxymoron, I know! - quilt, but I think I will make 4 small ones instead - so I can play with the fabrics instead of trying to make them play nicely with each other...

KC Quilter said...

Okay, Laura, now you've gone and done it!! I NEED more Gwen Marston books!!!! I only have three and MUST have the Rose and Tulip book. Ebay, here I come. Your quilt is a honey.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Laura! I"ve been dying to see this one every since you said you got it back! I love it. I only wish I could see it in person! So what is your pieced 4 block going to be? I hope I get to come to the retreat so I can see you make it!!!!

Patti said...

This is one of my favorite quilts from Jan Patek - I think it's originally from Ladybird, Ladybird. It's on my list of "quilts to make". Your's looks great!

Lucy said...

I am impressed!!! What a BEAUTY!!!!!!

Judy said...

Laura what a beautiful quilt. You have such an eye for design and I love how all your quilts look.

I also have made several 4 block quilts and they are the perfect size sometimes to try something out..in a smaller size, or to make something really special in a larger size.

Judy said...

Me again... Do you hand applique or do you machine applique?

What size is this approximately?

YankeeQuilter said...

4-block quilts always make such a strong statement They stand out. I have a couple from the Ohio area that I really love. Nice job on your quilt.

Siobhan

Tonya Ricucci said...

It's a beauty - I hope you have a display space for it!

I'm not nearly as enamored with the 4-block design as you are, but it's growing on me. I've never seen teh Rose and Tulip book, but now Im going to have to find it. Thanks!

Finn said...

A really gorgeous quilt Laura, I can see why Gwen's book would be perfect for you. You do beautiful work!!

tami said...

That's a really beautiful quilt and you did a great job. I'll have to check out that book.

Darcie said...

Great history lesson on 4-block quilts, Laura. Yours is to die for!