Thursday, May 25, 2006

All Quilts tell a story


I am a true believer that all quilts tell a story. I look at my quilts and know all the stories
surrounding them. Thinking of this I decided that I would go to my stack of finished quilts and without looking pull one out and see if I could remember its story. Well it is a recent quilt so I remember the story well!
It starts out like this, many moons ago I was fortunate to have been a stay at home mom. I spent most days the same, cleaning in the morning then doing some sewing. After lunch it was the little ones nap time and I would sit and enjoy the quiet and hand quilt. I originally started out with a hoop. One weekend I was at an auction when an old frame with the original rollers came up. I bought it for $25, took it home and set it up. It took up one whole end of the living room but no one complained. I enjoyed sitting at the frame every afternoon and getting my couple of hours of hand quilting in. After the kids were all in school I went back to work and I just didn’t have the time anymore to get any hand quilting done. My frame was pulled a part and put away. I started finishing small projects on my machine and the larger quilts were sent to my friend Carol who does excellent work on her longarm. A few years ago I went to a quilt retreat in January with my great traveling buddies. One of the girls (Roseanna) was hand quilting on her gorgeous Dear Jane quilt. She let me sit down and take a few stitches and I was hooked again. I knew that starting out with a large quilt was a bad idea. It would seem endless to me and I would never complete it. So I decided to make some smaller quilts and hand quilt them. This has worked wonderfully for me. I have completed quite a few. Lori Smith and Jo Morton have excellent little quilt patterns out that fit me to a T and I have been able to enjoy hand quilting again!

9 comments:

Judy said...

Great quilt Laura, and a great story. I guess still being new-ish to quilting I remember all my quilts stories too. I hope to be able to remember all of them years from now.

Glad you found something that works perfectly for you.

Joanne said...

Great quilt and great story!

Rae said...

Ok did you sneek over to my blog somehow. I have not been blogging long enough to be part of the ring. But blog before last, I talked about one of my bits of quilting philosophies being that all quilts have a story & all quilts tell a story.
I hope that you do look in on my blog. I would enjoy your coments.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Laura, you always have the best memories and stories with your quilts! Your so good at that. I'm a hopeless cause! :)

I love this quilt. I really love the border with the log cabin and I LOVE the fabrics!

Can't wait for Sept! I'll bring down my bigger size quilt I'm hand quilting to show you!

ForestJane said...

I'm one of those that likes the look of hand quilting, but it just goes too slow for me. :)

Melanie said...

Beautiful Quilt! What kind of frame to you use? I really like the plastic tubing and ease of stretch mine provides. I put a link below.

be good,
Melanie
http://www.createforless.com/products/productDetail.asp?ProductID=30547

KC Quilter said...

I really enjoy your stories on your blog! Keep it up.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Glad you rediscovered handquilting - one of the most peaceful activities around.

Lucy said...

Great quilt too.. and yes when I am sitting on my couch an make my stitches in the hoop. I feel myself so happy !