Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Birthday Blocks

We had a great vacation! It the past few years it has been my youngest son and my daughter who have went with me. This year it was my oldest son and my daughter as T had his college spring break a few weeks earlier. So we changed it up a bit this year and had a great time.
When my gang of friends got together in January of this year somehow the topic of birthdays came up. In the past we have celebrated each others birthdays by going out to dinner together (those who are in the area) and buying a small gift. We have been together as a group for many years and not once have we ever done a block exchange that I can remember so it was decided that this year we would do a birthday block exchange. Those who wanted to participate threw out suggestions of what they would like such as theme or colors and a list was made.
Jan’s birthday came up first. She asked for a 9” block in purple and white. This was tough for me as I didn’t want to pull my machine out. So I came up with a flower block using a purple fabric that had a leafy print to it for the leaf.
Next up was Dawn. She asked for a block that represented the maker. Since I love working in wool appliqué and I like having words on my quilts I chose to use both techniques on her block. It was fun working on two totally different blocks. I think Dawn’s will be really tough to put together in one quilt as we are all so different as quilters. I can see her getting some blocks done in really bright fabrics and some reproduction prints. It will be fun to see the different blocks. Jan and Dawn both have blogs so you can follow along with them also.
Our next birthday comes up in April and it will be a tough one for me as she has asked for a paper pieced block. I really struggle when it comes to paper piecing but I will give it my best shot.

“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.”

- The Dalai Lama

4 comments:

Dixie Howard said...

What a fun idea! Love both blocks that you made - sure to be treasured keepsakes that will find their way into wonderful quilts!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I already have an idea of how to make them all work!!!!! It is going to be such a wonderful quilt of all my IN friends!

Barb said...

Pretty blocks, and what a nice idea for a block exchange

Linda C. said...

Oh, Laura . . . both blocks are lovely, but Jan's is going to fit so well with her other blocks. She said she would post a picture of them all together.

We miss you!